The Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court is recruiting for a full-time, classified Court Interpreter position #00054758-24400 for the Interpreter Division in Albuquerque, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general supervision provide interpretation and translation services to ensure the fair and impartial administration of justice and due process of the law to those populations who cannot adequately communicate in English. Overtime is required when court is in session beyond normally scheduled working hours. Provide Spanish language interpreting services during court proceedings. Respond to inquiries of Spanish-speaking public and guide them to appropriate services. Translate court forms from English to Spanish. Evaluate docket and review court files to determine the need for interpreters and maintain a database of people who require interpreting services for future hearings. Maintain statistics regarding type of hearing and number of people requesting interpreting services. Have the ability to get along with others and to work under stress. Interpret simultaneously and consecutively verbatim; translate by means of either a written or oral mode; maintain confidentiality; organize and prioritize workload; maintain a high level of accuracy and interpret for people with limited linguistic skills and comprehension of the judicial system. May perform other duties as assigned to meet the operational needs of the Court.Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background checks.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
● The Court Interpreter is responsible for performing all modes of interpretation from source language into the target language during court proceedings and for court ordered services (interpretation may be performed: in person, from a recording, via telephone or video conferencing).
● Provides interpretation of familiar and unfamiliar documents and formal translations of court-generated forms.
● Educate judicial participants as to the role of the interpreter (ethics, participation, expectations and jury responsibilities).
● Collaboratively works with court staff and other interpreters to ensure adequate interpretation services are available.
● Maintains a database of cases requiring an interpreter for legal and statistical reporting.
● Creates and maintains special glossaries related to the evolution of court interpretation in the target language.
● Utilizes and maintains court interpretation equipment.
● Evaluates contract interpreter’s skills and abilities at providing services.
● Assists in training and mentoring new interpreters.
● Provides court testimony related to interpretation services rendered.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge in both languages of grammar, dialects, slang and legal terminology; judicial processes; all modes of interpretation (simultaneous, consecutive and sight); translation in both languages; standard grammar for English and the target language (e.g. verb agreement and conjugation, singular/plural forms, possessive case, correct syntax, preposition and gender); grammatical conventions observed during formal, consultative and casual modes of oral communication in justice systems contexts, including colloquial and idiosyncratic slang and regionalism for English and the target language; specialized vocabulary in both English and the target language related to court proceedings that may include: legal, medical, forensic, psychological, chemical, technical, mechanical, pharmaceutical, insurance, financial, construction and property; dialect varieties for English and the target language; the theories, skills and techniques of interpreting and translating; the ethical codes and protocols for interpreting; United States Constitution, New Mexico law, constitution and statutes, federal law; rules of civil and criminal procedure; court rules, structure, operations, policies and procedures; and court case management systems.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
*This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed*
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
*these benefits vary by job classification or need*